Friday, August 14, 2009

Sommerferie 2009

July and August are the months when many Danes take time off from work for ''sommerferier'' or summer holidays. So after a reminder from a friend, that I too have been working hard all year establishing myself in Copenhagen, I realized that I also deserved a break.

So on June 28, my ''sommerferie'' began at Roskilde Music Festival.

DSC_9039

West camping grounds at Roskilde Festival

DSC_8947

My blue tent

9 days later, sunburnt, exhausted and deafened from camping, 17 concerts, and 67,412 other festival goers, there came an offer to decompress on the Baltic Sea. It was the best kind of music to my ears.

DSC_9470

I gladly accepted and was soon on the overnight ferry from Køge to the island of Bornholm, and what I initially thought would be a short 4 day trip became the most important days of my summer filled with the five fundamental 'R's of life: rest, relaxation, relation, rejuvenation and re-inspiration. While on Bornholm, time stood still, but while sitting on the bus 10 days later journeying back across Sweden, I knew it had passed too quickly.

DSC_9495

Crossing the Öresund Bridge from Sweden to Denmark

With commitments successfully accomplished after 2 days back in Copenhagen, I had no need nor desire to stay put in the big city. Thus when I was asked to join a semi-work weekend in Aalborg, a part of Denmark I had not yet visited, I did not hesitate to accept despite the city's poor reputation.

DSC_9529

View of Aalborg from Hotel Hvide Hus

How could I say no to the job or rather, the opportunity to photograph the Aalborg Museum of Modern Art, knowing the images will be used as creative inspiration for an upcoming film and lighting project. This was yet again a perfect way to continue the summer holiday.

DSC_9568

Aalborg Museum of Modern Art

Finally, having managed travel all month by ferries, trains and buses, there had to unfortunately be a carbon emitting flight to Scandinavia's volcanic country on the North Atlantic Ocean. After all, what is a ''sommerferie'' without a journey to the glaciers of Iceland?

DSC_9734

Next time however, I will take the ferry...

Other life priorities have had to be put forward and Kleejourneys apologizes to her readers for the lack of blog postings recently. However, if you can be patient, an extremely large stock of new ''sommerferie''photos will be shared in the upcoming weeks. So please stay tuned...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home