Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Great Escape

DSC_2622

A living tree makes it's escape out through the walls of the Assistens Kirkegården towards Jagtvej....

History:

The Assistens Kirkegård or Assistens Cemetary, is the name of many existing cemeteries in Denmark. The name implies an erected shared assisting cemetery for town churches in larger towns. The first one was inaugurated in Nørrebro, Copenhagen in 1760 and is well known, not only because it is the largest cemetery in Copenhagen, but also because it is the burial grounds for Hans Christian Andersen, the famous Danish author of fairytales.

But this cemetery has a very special function as a peaceful place of retreat for Copenhageners. On a nice summer or fall day, the grounds are fully used by many of all ages who are there to relax quietly, meet with friends, some having picnics, some taking an afternoon stroll or some working on laptops in their hammocks. I once heard someone describe the Assistens Kirkegård as her Garden of Eden and I do honestly agree.

The weather was beautiful on Saturday and the sky was producing some of the nicest lighting I have seen in a while. After some very busy weeks, I decided to spend a much needed afternoon relaxing and wandering around the cemetery, absorbing the smells and colours of autumn with my camera. It was a lovely and cosy time or if translated to 2 of my favourite danish words: "Det var dejligt og hyggeligt!". I hope that in my upcoming blogposts, I will be able to portray these sensations.

(Psst...the red brick building in the background is where kleejourneys is currently based from...how lucky am I to live so close)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Psst, I'll try to find your home using these clues and GE of course.

November 14, 2008 at 8:39 AM  
Blogger Katrina Lee said...

With $0.00 or 0dkr as my current budget for vacations, GE is now my only means of travel.

November 15, 2008 at 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home