Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Trials and Tribulations II


Being from Montreal, I'm pretty sure I know what a good bagel is. If you have ever visited Fairmount bagels, the 24 hour bagel bakery in Mille End, or even its' competitor, St. Viateur bagels located nearby, you would then agree with me that the best bagels come from this city. So, it is sometimes beyond my comprehension that internationally, the bagel is known to be part of American food and culture.

However, as the search for professional work in Copenhagen in design and architecture proves to be more and more difficult than I had imagined, the idea of exercising my bagel knowledge and claiming myself as an American bagel maker seems closer to reality. Somehow, while each month of my stay passes by and the image of myself as a designer falls more and more unreachable into the distance, the picture of myself as a Merry Bagel-maker at the Bagel Co. simultaneously becomes clearer.

After all, in reading the key criteria below, I would like to think that I fulfill the qualities necessary for becoming a bagel-maker. Of course, perhaps the part about "fondness for and familiarity with the U.S" could be improved upon. And finally, wouldn't I just feel so proud to work for a company with such a strong sense of American branding that head office is actually located on Amerikavej? Yes, this will be my road to success in Copenhagen!


But then, embedded in the first paragraph of the posting, an unfortunate statement lies, screaming up at me, "To be employed, you need to speak Danish and English fluently". As I am only 5 weeks fluent in Danish and yet still to pass Module 1, with 6 to go, it dawns upon me that this Montrealer with years of Fairmount bagel knowledge will not become a Merry Bagel-maker in Copenhagen. Next?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home