Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Let the sun shine

DSC_2040

According to Wikipedia, DST or "daylight savings time is the convention of advancing clocks so that afternoons have more daylight and mornings have less". The result of this clock shift during spring time is the reversal of this action during the fall season. For most of my life in Canada, the date where my days falls backwards is usually the first Sunday in November. But this year in Denmark, I will be setting my clock back one week earlier this coming Sunday October 26.

Perhaps the days will linger as a result, but the disadvantages of daylight savings time prevail harshly during dark Danish mornings and gloomy bicycle rides to school. Already, there has noticeably been a difference in the last month as I force myself out of bed in darkness at 7:30am. So now, as I head towards the shortest day of the year coming in two months with only 7 hours and 2 minutes of precious daylight [source], the real fight against SAD (seasonal affective disorder) begins.

UPDATE

Biggest DST advantage: On this night, I will be partying for one hour longer!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home